Saturday, May 10, 2008

New Look 6754

I finally finished New Look 6754. The original pattern looks like the picture on the left. This is view D - which I decided to make. I made a number of changes on my version. First of all, after making the muslin, I realized I really disliked the way they bound the neckline. The binding seemed skinny and awkward. Of course, that could also be attributed to my lack of experience, but I prefer my alternative. I decided to use piping/cording to embellish and finish off the neckline and the sleeves. I also did not like having the zipper in the back of the shirt. It was an awkward length and too difficult to operate, so I moved it to the side seam.

Here is the front of the blouse.
Here with arm extended so you can see the volume in the sleeve. Also, the one thing I'm having trouble with - using a sz 20 fits my shoulders, arms, waist and hips. However, it's too wide from the bottom of the armsyce to the waistline. I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of the excess fabric on the side bust/under arm side seam. I'm not sure how though...

The sleeves didn't drape as nicely as they seem to in the line drawing.
I guess that's one of the drawbacks to using a pattern without an actual model...
I did a shoddy job finishing the inside. I completely forgot to serge the neckline and sleeve hem edges before attaching the binding. Ah well...

Another side shot demonstrating the [lack of] drape in the sleeves.
And finally, a back view. I had to lighten the picture a bit for this.
Hmmm... my hair's looking pretty frazzled in these pictures. That would be thanks to the sweat from this morning's workout plus the water I got on it in the shower. I ended up leaving it out to dry, so it's looking a hot mess.

Okay. Bedtime. I'll get around to putting a full review on PR sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I like that fabric. It would be great for a more structured blouse or shirt. I think you did a great job with fitting the back.
    -Nneka

    ReplyDelete