Saturday, December 15, 2007

My first dress

No, I can't wear it. Unless I lose about 75 pounds and have plastic surgery to change my body type. Not happening. Anyway, it's my first dress and it was from one of the many drapes we did for class. We had to create a garment using something we'd learned in class. However, we had to use bandanas and/or remnant fabric. I used both, as you'll see. I fell in love with the mid-neck dart the first time I saw it, so I knew I'd be using that. With time running out, I ended up with just a basic straight skirt. It's not perfect by any means, but I feel so proud of myself!! It was also the first time I used piping, and the first time I underlined a garment (with bandana fabric). In reality you don't notice the bandana fabric under the sheer fabric of the skirt. However, the camera flash makes it much more obvious. I have a seam down the center front and also had to make the bottom of the back from another colorway of the sheer fabric bc the scraps I had were too small. Well, here it is.
I'm definitely not a designer (nor do I want to become one). I just would like to get really good at sewing basic silhouttes. Nothing too fancy for me - I just want clothes that finally fit me. So... I need to get sewing, nah? What am I doing at the computer!! I should be tracing my next creation!

3 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh. This is really beautiful! Wow. I would wear that in 2 secs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous and proud at the same time!!! I wish I could have taken this class with you guys this semester. I can't wait to catch up. Hopefully we can meet up to sew together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUV, LUV, LUV that dress. I'll have to look for a draping class near me in Dallas. I bought a cheapo professional dress form that is 10 sizes too small for me and hope to pad it out to my size sometime soon (or later).
    - Nneka

    ReplyDelete